Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Darling Dahlias~ And some cookies~














I grew Dahlias for years..  and got discouraged with the slugs and earwigs eating them all.
I used to bring in my tubers..in the fall and start over..
Again..always to disappointment.
This year..I bought a bag at Costco..started them in flats..and then transplanted into a very sunny garden in the front..I am pleased to say that  although there is still some earwig damage and I have spied them..but because these are in full sun most of the day..the damage seems less..and I am back to being hooked on these dinner plate darlings.I could be mistaken though..
Just a little glutton for dahlias.
They are stunners and make excellent cut flowers.
Love them..there I said it again:)

Gardening for me..is spiritual and therapeutic.
Yes I get sore..and some chores I loathe.
But watching things grow..taking care of them..and taking photos of the divas..is addictive.
Medicine for the soul and body that you cannot buy.
If you even have just a small spot..again I encourage to try taking care of plants♥

I made cookies again with the mooncake plunger type..(Starbucks..etc..) but celebrated the season by using the disks that reminded me of dahlias..
The recipe keeps the patterns sharp and clear..
and the cookie is delicious.
I have shared the recipe before with a link to the Italian blog..
But I am going to tell you what I do.
I halve the recipe..
I use ..

80 grams of totally summer softened salted butter
I beat in 60 grams of light brown sugar
I start with ap 100-110 grams of all purp unbleached flour..beat it in..
I add 50 grams of almond flour
and the zest of one small lemon for one half batch.
If I find the consistency too moist..then I add a BIT more flour.
I wrap in Saran..flat..

and ref.. for about 1 hr.
I roll it out w/ a bit of flour dusting..and with a lightly floured plunger type mooncake press.. I make the cookies..or you can use stamps..
I put on a parchment covered cookie sheet and freeze..just for a bit.
I place them in a 350 degree oven..for 15- 20 mins.
And that's it.I don't believe a pretty cookie has to be tasteless.I believe they should be buttery flavorful..delicious..They can be pretty and GOOD.
They are flaky..tasty..  and they keep their form superbly.♥
I am calling these Dahlia Cookies..:)


Have a lovely weekend~

Post a Comment

0 Comments