Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Sweeping up the Leaves

Last weekend the Mrs. and I mowed, blowed, and raked the leaves from our lawn. While I was in the front yard I witnessed a high-speed chase. Some genius had apparently stolen a car and drove it the wrong way down our one-way street. A cop car followed closely behind. "High speed" might be misleading, since the suspect was dragging a bag of (not my) leaves on the front of (not his) car. The two cars were probably traveling about 30 mph when the pursuit led them off our street and toward the park. I heard two more sirens and then no sirens so their pursuit didn't last much longer.

What does this have to do with 1993? Nothing really, except that I was picking up leaves at the time. And, coincidentally, I had just made a trade for most of the 1993 Leaf cards remaining on my want list.

World Series hero Joe Carter was one of the 29 set fillers I acquired in a trade with TCDB user rencherg. Most of them went to my second set, though a few were brand new to my collection.


Dave Hollins was one of the new-to-me singles. Jose Lind was another. I only need these two and Ken Griffey, Jr. to complete a second 'main' set - though I plan to upgrade the Jay Buhner and Pat Listach cards:

This was a fairly big trade, much more than my usual PWE swap. That's because Rencher needed 55 of my Topps flagship dupes from 2016-2018. I also sent him 1993 Leaf extras of Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, and Robin Ventura. In addition to the set fillers I picked out some 1993 Upper Deck cards.

Jack Morris is the only Hall of Famer among these five, which would probably sound strange to someone in 1993. (Dwight Gooden and Lou Whitaker didn't make it?) Gary Sheffield could join Jack one day - if we all decide to overlook things like PED use and quitting on your team.

The rest of the baseball cards I acquired are not from 1993, but I might have to use this blog for trade posts since The Collector is planning some kind of Football Week event. I was thrilled to pick up some 2018 Topps Chrome cards, including some guys for my All-Time Teams project (in case I give up on the set build.) I don't plan on building the 1994 Leaf set (perhaps one day?) but these guys are ATT reps, too. And then there's the Chief Wahoo logo. I have a bunch of 1999 Victory football helmet cards and thought I'd start adding the baseball logos to my collection. 1999 Victory is a really nice low-end set that I didn't appreciate at the time because I was too focused on Finest.

Some 1991 football cards - all Hall of Famers except Randall Cunningham. I had a near-set of 1990-91 Skybox but I broke it up. It was only the main set, so I missed out on HOFer Alex English and these logo cards:

Series II would have been pretty pointless without these beauties. The coach cards were neat, too, but less of a novelty at the time. 


I'll have more TCDB trade posts in the next week or two, and if they feature at least one card from 1993 I'll post 'em here. Hopefully I'll get back to posting some music/entertainment/news things here, too.


Thanks for reading, and Happy Thanksgiving!



~


Post a Comment

0 Comments