Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Spotlight on...Small World




No, this isn't one of those dweebish posts about technology and communication advances making us all neighbors around the planet, but rather, one of those dweebish posts about how coincidental things happen that cause us to say (even though we've sworn we never will, or any of those other fruitcake things your parents said): "Oh, my, what a small world we live in!" This especially applies to seeing someone you know in a different place than normal, or some other coincidental and unexpected event. [Sidebar: Are you humming, singing or thinking about the song, "It's a Small World After All" yet? I wish I could get that outta my head!]

Before I go off on a complete "tangerine," as I heard a good ol' Cajun lady say once, I'll get back to the point. I had one of these Small World moments yesterday. Here's how it went~~

Back story: I belong to a church group that makes food for church members who have lost a loved one, mostly to be served wakes or afterward. Sometimes we also bring food to shut-ins when there's a request. I got one of the latter calls and made arrangements to bring food to an address not too far from my house.

Me: (knocking on door) "Hello, I talked with you on the phone yesterday, and am here to drop off some food."

Her: "Oh, hello. Just a second." (Rattle noises as if searching for deadbolt keys and/or retrieving walker or cane.)

Me: "That's okay. Take your time. I'm not in a hurry."

Her: (Unlocking door and letting me into her small apartment.) "Hi there. Thanks for coming..."

[Here we chat a bit and I explain to her I've brought salad, lasagna, cornbread and a miniature chocolate cake. She looks like a little elf with shining eyes as she oohs and ahhs over the food. Then, I don't know how we got on the subject, but I'm telling her about how ill my mother is.]

Her: "Would you mind writing your mom's name down on that little tablet for me so I can pray for her?"

Me: "I sure will. And I'll write your name down to take with me too since you live so near me. I'm always on the road, and I bring food to my parents' often. It'd be my pleasure to bring you some again if you're ever in need." [I write Mom's name down for her.]

Her: "Hmm. That name is so familiar. Is your Dad's name _____? I knew someone with that name a long time ago. There couldn't be two because it's quite unusual. I once lent them my baby stroller when they had their twins."

Me: "Yes, that's my dad and mom! And I'm one of those twins. See, I'm paying you back after all these years for helping my family out." (Laughing.)

[Here there is much hugging and promises to pray for each others' families, and to meet up again soon. She pats me on the shoulder with her arthritis-crippled hand and reminds me to tell my parents Charlie Jo Thibodaux sends her regards.]

I just love these Small World happenings. They're almost as good as those unexplainable "coinkidinks" or "Godincidences." Feels nice to be part of something bigger. Something being directed by a much larger force outside oneself. Something kind, gentle, just and just a tad humorous.

Have you had a Small World meeting lately? If so, please share. They're fascinating.

Post a Comment

0 Comments