Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Fallschirmjäger Artillery

Good afternoon fellow gamers.

If you listen to our podcast, you'll know that I had chickened out of going to the FOW tournament held at the Colours convention in Newbury.  One of the reasons for my not going was because I knew I wouldn't be able to field an army I wanted and would instead be taking what I had.

In the end I was persuaded to go by all the awesome guys in Bournemouth/Poole, my wife cancelled her run, the guys said I could borrow what I needed and so I ended up going.

However, I did want to take my own artillery which I had recently bought.
I managed to get my grubby hands on GBX43, which is no longer in production, so I ended up paying the full price and a truck load of p&p to boot.
However, the boxset is full of awesomeness.  First you get the funky FJ artillery guns pictured here, which are a shortened barrel (compared to a regular 10.5) on modified Pak40 carriage, which makes for a slightly unusual albeit delightful looking number.

You also get a complete lot of regular leFh18 10.5cm Howitzers...cool.

The best bit is that the crew are in FJ uniforms as opposed to Heer/SS uniforms, might not be accurate for my BbB list, but I prefer the way they tie into the rest of my army.

I love the radio packs you get with, which is a nice way to differentiate the spotters belonging to this battery.

With regards to the actual painting of these, I was in a bit of a rush, so there's less layers than I would normally do.  But the end result is good enough.
Pretty much basecoat, gloss varnish, black wash, highlight with lightened version of basecoat.  I regard this as my minimum standard, although looking at these shots I realise I need to go round the base edges..lazy boy :)
Unfortunately I've applied 2 coats of matt varnish to the guns themselves, but they are still glossy...any tips?

I ended up having a good time at Colours, so was very glad I went.  The artillery did what it does, namely pin and smoke, but killed hardly anything.


Thanks for reading


Winner Dave

Post a Comment

0 Comments